Thursday, August 12, 2010

How To Motivate Employees? Stop Demotivating Them

I received this e-mail yesterday from a bright guy I know who is doing what it takes to get through this rough patch in the economy . . . (names changed to protect the guilty)

Today, my bosses boss catches me just after lunch and asks: "Did you see that email?". To which I replied, "um no, what is about?" He says, 'Bob (my immediate supervisor, and his direct report) said he received an email from HR that they're 'adjusting' your pay rate back twenty-four cents an hour. To which I replied, "that's not even near funny enough to be a joke." He responded, "I'm not kidding, they really did this."

So, I sallied over to the computer to find the email and I'll be damned if he didn't scrap off a lousy $9.60 per week for themselves.

I graduated FROM THEIR PROGRAM top-of-class, have maintained a perfect attendance record, worked every scrap of overtime asked of me, showed up in the freak snowstorms when nobody else bothered to and have passed every single qualification exam to be certified across three distinct aircraft; been lauded by teams I've worked for and THIS, THIS is how they acknowledge my promotion to Aircraft Mechanic C, Level 7?

I took this job to get access to more credible, higher paying salaried positions, whilst learning the trade-craft of modifying airframes for certain foreign and domestic customers to become a better manager of the processes used to create the value.

Did the bosses boss step up and make a move to correct the correction? Nope.

There is no way this company could undo this kind of kick to the balls. Of course, they asked to me come in and work early once again, and the weekend too. For what?

Thoughts?


Yes, I have a thought. Short the stock of that company hard. It will only be a matter of time before that quality of management kills the business and I have always found it easier and more satisfying betting against the losers than for the winners.

Even though job openings at businesses fell to 2.54 million in June from 2.6 million in May, meaning there is now five unemployed workers on average for every job opening, those numbers don't tell the whole story . . .

The government says there are 227,000 open manufacturing jobs, more than double the number a year ago. One hundred eighty-three thousand have been created since December, the strongest seven-month streak in a decade.

And, it's hard to fill these jobs because they require people who are good at math, good with their hands and willing to work on a factory floor.

Obviously this company both fails to value its employees and doesn't understand that replacing a skilled technician on a factory floor, even in this labor market, will be tough.

I suspect they will find out soon enough . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home